For over 20 years I’ve been listening to parents express their frustration, anger, hopelessness, and confusion about how to handle and change 10 major problems.
As you read this list and nod your head in agreement, know that each person who came with a heavy heart, left armed with confidence, courage, and the necessary skills to make positive change happen in their family.
- Your limits are being ignored and/or met with anger and refusal to comply.
- Children are not listening and not cooperating.
- Siblings are fighting and need to learn how to get along.
- You are having trouble solving problems with your kids.
- Your child gets upset easily from “minor” triggers and lashes out.
- There is too much angry and disrespectful behavior by you and your children.
- You and your partner want to have a cohesive parenting approach rather than conflict.
- Rewards and punishments aren’t working any more.
- You are unsure how to connect with and support a struggling child.
- You are concerned with your child’s lack of self-esteem.
If you are stuck, it is because you are looking at the problem from an old perspective. You are trying old strategies. How can you keep doing the same thing and expect a different result?
Some parents have children acting out for years. They keep hoping their kid will “grow out of it”. This is especially true of children who have emotionally strong outbursts. Guess what, they aren’t growing out of it. It is only getting scarier as the child gets older.
If you are reading parenting books, and you are still stumped about what to do, that’s because you can’t see the core root of the problem.
Without seeing the source, you can’t find the right solution. There are solutions out there for you. You may just need someone to help you find it.
What problem are you looking for answers to?